Focus: The Master Teacher: Jesus
Week One Devotional: “Listen”
Scripture Lesson: Proverbs 2:1-5
Proverbs 2:1-5 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Value of Wisdom
2 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:1-5 Contemporary English Version (CEV)
Wisdom and Bad Friends
2 My child, you must follow
and my instructions.
2 Keep in tune with wisdom
and think what it means
to have common sense.
3 Beg as loud as you can
for good common sense.
4 Search for wisdom
as you would search for silver
or hidden treasure.
5 Then you will understand
what it means to respect
and to know the Lord God.
Teach Us How to Pray
Study Texts: Luke 11:1
Objective: To emphasize the power of prayer.
~Devotional and Lesson by Karen Hayes-Harris
Luke 11:1 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Model Prayer
11 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”
Luke 11:1 Contemporary English Version (CEV)
11 When Jesus had finished praying, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his followers to pray.”
One Hour with God
- Praise (10 minutes) – Using Psalms to form your praise, starting with Psalm 1, use it to offer out loud your praise unto God. Just read aloud the Psalm, if nothing else.
- Confession (5 minutes) – Be still before God and allow Him to search your heart of wrongdoing, hurt, and brokenness; then confess and repent. Psalms 51 and 139 are great guides.
- Petition (10 minutes) – Pray for the concerns that are on your heart (e.g., family, friends, work, school, church, relationships, anything). Let Matthew 7:7-11 and Philippians 4:4-7 guide you.
- Thanksgiving (5 minutes) – We are to offer our prayers with thanksgiving. Thank God for provisions, guidance, and answers in advance. That’s the muscle of faith at work.
- Sing (5 minutes) – Offer unto the Lord a praise, using your voice in melody to God. It is a sure way to lift our hearts and intensity our spiritual longings.
- Intercession (20 minutes) – Pray for leaders; unbelievers; those who are serving; relief from violence, oppression, the struggles of our community; and your own testimony.
- Praise (5 minutes) – Finish our time of prayer in praise, reminding ourselves of who God is and that He is worthy of all our adoration. Psalm 18 provides great guidance.